Monday, April 8, 2013

Here and There



I just got back from a quick trip to Portland and the transition back to the Big Apple always takes some getting used to–not just in a time zone kind of way, but in a way of life kind of way. While I was home, I couldn’t help but walk down the streets of Portland saying, “I know I am back in Portland when…”



I know I am back in Portland when there is a yellow lab tied up on every corner waiting for its owner to get through the coffee line.

I know I am back in Portland when the barista asks me all about my day, complements me on my outfit, gives me a high five and paints a pine cone in my latte foam.

I know I am back in Portland when total strangers smile and say hi.

I know I am back in Portland when bikes outnumber cars.

I know I am back in Portland when it is raining and there is not an umbrella as far as the eye can see.

I know I am back in Portland when it is 70 degrees and everyone is taking the day off and wearing shorts and sporting shades.

I know I am back in Portland when dressing up means switching from your black Northface windbreaker to your black Northface fleece zip up for a fancy dinner.

I know I am back in Portland when there is a Subaru parked on every side street.

I know I am back in Portland when the guy who parks his car behind mine pays for my parking spot.

I know I am back in Portland when restaurants and coffee shops close at 9pm.

I know I am back in Portland when I don’t have to wait in line.

I know I am back in Portland when I run into everyone I know.

I know I am back in Portland when everyone around me is wearing Nike frees.

I know I am back in Portland when I don’t pay sales tax.

I know I am back in Portland when I am on my 4th cup of coffee and it isn’t even noon.

I know I am back in Portland when it feels good to stand in the rain.

I know I am back in Portland when I am lost in the woods on a 10-mile trail run that turns into 14.

I know I am back in Portland because time is slower.

I know I am back in Portland when random people write “Pacific Wonderland” in chalk on the sidewalk downtown.

I know I am back in Portland when the beer is only $3.

I know I am back in Portland when it is LOCAL.

I know I am back in Portland when you ask what is on tap and the bar tender brings you a binder.

I know I am back in Portland when I see goats eating grass on the East Side.

I know I am back in Portland when I am eating from my favorite food carts.

I know I am back in Portland when I bump into the senator at the Farmer’s Market and he knows me on a first name basis.

I know I am back in Portland when flannel is the fabric of choice.

I know I am back in Portland when horned rimmed glasses and gauges outnumber ties and brief cases.

I know I am back in Portland when it is raining one minute and sunny the next.

I know I am back in Portland when I can drive to the beach and drive to the mountain in the same day.

I know I am back in Portland when all I hear is NPR.

I know I am back in Portland when all I smell is pine trees.

I know I am back in Portland when I can drink straight from the faucet.

I know I am back in Portland when I am standing behind a group of people who all wait for the walk sign.

I know I am back in Portland when everything I use is recycled.

I know I am back in Portland when my heart screams YOU’RE HOME and I LOVE YOU!



And…

I know I am back in New York when honking doesn’t trigger an emotion.

I know I am back in New York when J-Walking is normal.

I know I am back in New York when I have to ask for Soy Milk.

I know I am back in New York when I can eat at any hour anywhere.

I know I am back in New York when garbage is piled a mile high on every side street.

I know I am back in New York when I run my metro card through the turn-style.

I know I am back in New York when I am trying to power walk around a group of tourists that are walking down the sidewalk in a row of three at turtle pace.

I know I am back in New York when I am rushing.

I know I am back in New York when I am running late.

I know I am back in New York when no one says hi.

I know I am back in New York when there is a hotdog stand on every corner.

I know I am back in New York when there is a piano playing in the square.

I know I am back in New York when I am carrying all my groceries home.

I know I am back in New York when a glass of wine is $11.

I know I am back in New York when there is a mob of people waiting to get into a gallery opening.

I know I am back in New York when I have to run through traffic on a run.

I know I am back in New York when I almost lose an eye to an umbrella.

I know I am back in New York when I hear different languages being spoken on every corner.

I know I am back in New York when I see small dogs being carried around in purses.

I know I am back in New York when I have to make a reservation.

I know I am back in New York when I see fur coats.

I know I am back in New York when I see black SUVs and lines of cabs clogging the streets.

I know I am back in New York when I am distracted by a window display.

I know I am back in New York when I have to put on a pencil skirt to go to work.

I know I am back in New York because I am never alone.

I know I am back in New York when my brain screams “SLOW DOWN” and “”GET OUT OF MY WAY” and my heart says “THIS IS AMAZING, I CAN’T BELIEVE I LIVE HERE!”



This cup is for Lottie, the best yellow lab on earth: I know I am home when you meet me at the door And my New School gang: Who always remind me why I am back! You guys are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment