Friday, April 19, 2013

Deep in the Woods



I have been stuck in a cubicle for too long, and in the last few months, I have come to a stark realization–a cubicle is not for me. I need more than a screensaver. I need more than a window. I need the outdoors. I need the trees. And so, all alone in my cubicle, this came to mind:

Deep in the Woods


I just want to walk into the woods.
I want to hear the branches of the trees dance in the wind.
I want the pine needles to find their way into my hair.
I want to feel the sticky sap between my fingers.

I want to find the perfect stump–a stump that is all my own.
I want to climb higher for a better view of the treetops.
I want to count the rings.
I want to hear the crunch of branches and needles beneath my feet.
I want to get lost in the shadows of the trees.

I long for muddy boots and splinters in my socks.
I dream of vast open sky and dark mossy corners.
I miss the smell of the dirt.
I miss the chill of an afternoon breeze on the back of my neck.

Dear Woods,
If I could stand up and start walking to you, I would.
I would run my hands over your hard edges.
I would lean into your out stretched arms.
I would swing on your branches.
I would sit in your quiet.

I want to walk into the woods.
And when I finally got lost, deep in the foliage,
That is when I would know –I was finally back where I belong.



-This cup is for Forest Park. I miss you more than you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment