Sunday, July 8, 2012

Running with a heavy heart...




It was a warm day. The kind of day where you pace yourself based on the shadows from the trees, sprinting from shadow to shadow to dodge the heat. It was a hill run. The neighborhood slowly arched its way around the hill and every turn gave way to a new challenge–a steady incline. As I made a sharp turn, pushing my legs forward with every step, I saw my friend up ahead. Tall, lean, and steady on his feet, he never slowed his pace, but just keep the momentum all the way to the top. I became more and more breathless as I tried to hold my focus, following in his footsteps, trying to keep up. When he reached the top he stopped and turned around, grinning from ear to ear. As I came closer he threw his arms up in the air, palms out stretched and we high fived each other. We had made it to the top. For the rest of the run home we had the breeze at our backs, a smile across our face, and a deep sense of accomplishment that you can only understand if you have had the chance to lace up your shoes and make it to the top of a hill. It is not an easy task. It takes time, persistence, sweat, strength, and friendship to make it to the top. For me, I was lucky to have Geoff–both leading the way, and waiting at the top. With a heavy heart I am sad to say that not a run will go by without thinking of my friend, and no hill run will ever be the same. But I know that Geoff will be with me in spirit, every step of the way. I know that he will run inside every runner, cheering them on, helping them cross the finish line. He will be there–ready to run, and as always, I will try to keep up.

This cup is for Geoff–Not a run will go by without thinking of you

No comments:

Post a Comment