Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Timeless


The Taj Mahal


There are people and places I consider timeless. The kind of timeless that will never change, never grow old, and never die. These people and places are eternal–everlasting. Today I got news that a long time family friend is sick. She is eighty years old. To me, her style, her runway walk, her thick dark sunglasses and her jet-black hair couldn’t possibly age. I just assumed she would always be well. I just assumed she would never grow old. But one should never assume anything. These assumptions are not reality. The reality is that none of us are timeless. But I sometimes wish we were.

There are some people in my life that I wish would be here forever. I am not sure how they would feel about that, but I honestly can’t imagine the world without them. I can’t imagine my world without them. There are certain places and people that I just want to freeze frame, press pause, and hold onto forever. I don’t want the conversations to end. I don’t want them to miss out on all the amazing things that are going on in the world. And as selfish as this may sound, I need them here for advice, support, friendship, and love. I need them here for me.

I recently read an article that the Taj Mahal is falling apart. Last year, I was lucky enough to see the Taj Mahal in person. As I walked across the cold marble floors, I took in its massive scale, its intricate design, and endless beauty. It was stunning. I can’t imagine India without the Taj Mahal. I can’t imagine a world without the Taj Mahal–to me it is timeless. How could something so iconic, so grand, so massive, and so historic, wither away?

The arctic is melting, polar bears are dying, mountains are liquefying, rain forests are getting cut down–the list goes on and on. All of these things I just assumed would always be here and would remain timeless– again, never assume. Just like a popular brand, a hit song, a style, or a trend–everything eventually gets old, fades away, and only lives on through stories, pictures, and memories.

There is a famous quote about life that says, “No one gets out alive.” This is a stark reminder that none of us will be here forever. The best thing we can do is to get a move on, make the most of everyday, and soak up every minute of our timeless favorites with our timeless favorites, because (just like anything else) they won’t last forever.

Raise your cup: This is for timeless favorites–both mine and yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment