Monday, May 14, 2012

Smooth Sailing


Cannon Beach: Mostly windy, always perfect.

There are days when you go and visit the ocean and the water is perfectly still and there is not a breeze in the air–the ocean looks like a sheet of glass. It is on those days that you wish you had some wind to ruffle your sails and push you in the right direction. You can be stuck in still waters for what seems like an eternity. It doesn’t matter if your compass points you in the right direction or not because you aren’t moving. Everyday you hope and wait for the perfect breeze to carry you out toward the horizon, toward new places and the great unknown.

When you are waiting in the stillness you don’t think about how strong that first gale will feel when it finally reaches your sails. When it hits, you grab onto the rails and hold on for the ride. Inside, your heart beats as it tries to keep up with your nerves, and you rely on your compass, your past experiences, and your intuition to guide the sails through the breakers. When the waves pick up, you suddenly think back to the calm quiet water and are surprised by how quickly the winds changed and the waters transformed.

By now you probably think, she has a metaphor for everything. But it is true, there are some days where I feel like I am in a sailboat waiting for the waters to pick up, and then before I know it, whoosh! I am on my way! For me, that day was today, and I am always excited when the winds pick up and you can feel changes brewing in the air. No matter where your compass points, something amazing is bound to be just around the corner–over the horizon.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is by Mark Twain who once said, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” I have lots of friends that are getting ready for big waves–myself included. It is an exciting time and we are ready. And for those of you that are still waiting for your perfect breeze, don’t worry, I assure you, it’s coming. Be ready.

This cup is for Sam (I am so proud of you)
And for Joel and Rocky (who helped bring in the trade winds
to get me out of the harbor–for that I am eternally grateful)

No comments:

Post a Comment