Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Proof that it takes a village




If you keep track of my many brewing cups, then you know that my show Era of Proof opened this week. It was very exciting. Not only did it give me a great excuse to wear ridiculously high heels, it brought together people from all different corners of my life. For me, the show itself is as important as the people who fill the room (and my life). I would not be who I am today without them, and while they may not know it, I am overcome with emotion every time these individuals step through the door and I am so thankful to have them in my life. I believe it really does take a village to raise a child–and if you need proof–it was at my opening–my village was there.

The truth is, all of us need a village. The words ubuntu come to mind–I am because you are. I am reminded of my village every time I open my kitchen cabinet and see enough cups to go around (even if on most days it is just me). I think about all the people that I have met, and all the people I have yet to meet. Our village isn’t just our family, our neighbors, and our friends. It is our globe. It is our universe. This week I challenged my village to see how far a village can extend–how many cups one should have on hand (just in case) at my show Era of Proof. This is not an easy undertaking. Sometimes we just don’t want to share. Sometimes we just don’t want to talk. Sometimes we just don’t want to lend a cup. But trust me, it’s worth it. Lending a cup can mean the world to someone else. And it is our obligation as members of every village to look out for one another, open our hearts and our homes, and always have the kettle waiting–hot and at the ready.

I have been so fortunate to have people from my village take me in, answer the phone calls late at night, come to my rescue in times of turmoil, assure me that everything is going to be okay, and be there to laugh, cry, talk, and listen. I am lucky to have a village of people who will fly out at the drop of a hat (and fly me out at the drop of a hat). My village is always there with calls, cards, messages, hugs, support, love, and encouragement. My village stretches from east to west, coast to coast, and extends around the world. I am because they are. They are because I am. I am because you are. Ubuntu.

This cup is for Arch & Leah, and the rest of my village–I am because you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment